For the choir director. A Psalm of David.
- 1Hear my voice, O God, in my  complaint;
- Preserve my life from dread of the enemy.
- 2Hide me from the secret counsel of evildoers,
- From the tumult of those who do iniquity,
- 3Who have sharpened their tongue like a sword.
- They aimed bitter speech as their arrow,
- 4To shoot  from concealment at the blameless;
- Suddenly they shoot at him, and do not fear.
- 5They  hold fast to themselves an evil purpose;
- They  talk of laying snares secretly;
- They say, “Who can see them?”
- 6They  devise injustices, saying,
- “We are  ready with a well-conceived plot”;
- For the  inward thought and the heart of a man are  deep.
- 7But God  will shoot at them with an arrow;
- Suddenly  they will be wounded.
- 8So  they  will make him stumble;
- Their own tongue is against them;
- All who see them will shake the head.
- 9Then all men  will fear,
- And they  will declare the work of God,
- And  will consider  what He has done.
- 10The righteous man will be glad in the Lord and will take refuge in Him;
- And all the upright in heart will glory.